1. Red Roof Ranch - Elwell
Red Roof Ranch was established in 2014. There are many dark secrets associated with the ranch, and a recent renovation inside the home uncovered an old charcoal portrait hidden within a door frame. The portrait is presumed to be of the original owner,
Alvy Decker. It was framed and hangs proudly in the family room. The Loomis Family has owned the property on and off over the last 60 years.
The home, barn, stonebarn, and outhouse were constructed in the mid-1940's and the metal Red Roof was installed within the last 10 years. The barn has been renovated inside to include 3 horse stalls, and the floor was removed in one section to allow for a
breathtaking seven-foot-wide chandelier which is hung from the top of the barn. The attached milk house is slated for renovation, along with the granary. To complete the barn a matching red roof will be installed in 2016. The property also has a stone hedge in the front - a testament to workmanship that stands the test of time.
Wendy Reeve purchased the property in 2014. In the spring of 2014 one of her horses got loose and she called on the son of her next door neighbor to help her retrieve the horse. The following spring of 2015 that son (Cliff Loomis) married Wendy Reeve at the Red Roof Ranch. The first of hopefully many more weddings to be held in the future at the ranch.
The Red Roof Patriot Quilt Block was designed and painted by Wendy and is a testament to the American heritage for the ranch and the surrounding areas and a reflection of the sentiments of the current property owners.
2. Lumberjack Park - Riverdale
In 1926, when George Beck of Ithaca learned that one of the last stands of white pine in Gratiot County was going to be cut down, he called on local lumberjacks and rivermen to buy the threatened forty-acre tract and preserve it as a memorial. The woodsmen organized the Lumberjack and Riverdrivers Association and in 1927 purchased the land
for $3,000.00. They elected Otis Terpening as their first president that year. By 1943 the mortgage had been fully paid through membership fees, donations and fundraising dinners. The Lumberjack and Riverdrivers Association minutes of October 18, 1934, explained, "we shanty boys are growing old and our ranks are getting thinner year by
year, but when our day is ended we know our children still can gather on this spot where the shanty boys have built their final camp." The bunkhouse and shanty were completed in 1930, the pavilion by 1931, and the caretaker's house in 1947. The park also features a band shell, a playground area, and a nature trail.
Over the years, park donations have helped keep the park going and new buildings have been erected. The park is used primarily in the summer months for reunions of all sorts and weddings. The Pine River runs through the back of the park and is worth a stop to walk back to the river and wonder about the past lumberjacks and rivermen who helped make this park possible.
The Tree of Life block was donated by the family of Leroy (Bum) and Beverly (Tootie) Loomis. The Loomis family grew up in the Riverdale/Seville Township area and spent many summers enjoying the park.
3. Seville Township Library - Riverdale
The Book Shelf Quilt Block can be found on the tiny library built in 1941 in the center of Riverdale, a small rural town.
4. Burt and Cheryl Henry - Elwell
The Sunrise Patriot Block graces the out-building in this country setting of two gifted former educators of Gratiot County.
7. Merchant Family - Ithaca
The Maple Leaf Block is located at this Centennial Farm.
8. Bovee Family Farm - Ithaca
The Bovee farm was purchased by Roger and Sharon Bovee in 1963 primarily for crop and livestock production. It was on this farm that they built their home and raised three children. The quilt square design and colors were chosen simply for their liking. The block now stands to represent the family and farm life the Bovees take such pride in.
9. Harrell Family - Alma
The Eight Pointed Star and Pinwheel patterns are depicted on the Harrell family’s barn. The land, barn, and house were purchased by Richard and Rhonda Harrell in 1975. The house was abandoned for years and was refurbished by the Harrells. The inspiration for the quilt squares came from Rhonda Harrell, who is a long-arm machine quilter, and her love for quilting. There are two blocks so they can be seen from either direction. Richard Harrell chose the Eight Pointed Star pattern, and Rhonda chose the Pinwheel. Both are depicted in patriotic colors.
10. Gratiot County Fair for Youth - Alma
The Ribbon Winners Circle Block includes the colors of winners' ribbons and represents the excitement the fair has brought to the community since 1949.
13. DeFever - Alma
The quilt block pattern chosen for the DeFever Homestead Centennial Farm is the Mariner's Compass. The colors in the quilt block represent the heritage of each generation that has owned the farm since 1888 and incorporate the flags of Scotland, Ireland, England, Germany, Belgium, and the United States.
The Centennial Farm was originally owned by Edward Fleming and Frances (Lindsay) Fleming from 1888 - 1959. Robert Fleming and O'Rena (Mills) Fleming took ownership from 1959 - 1989. Urban Dickman and Marietta (Fleming Chamberlain) Dickman owned the farm from 1989 - 1992. Frank DeFever and Janet (Dickman) DeFever moved to the farm with their children in 1992 and are the present day owners.
During the past century, this Gratiot County farm has seen numerous changes. The original farmhouse (the southernmost part of the house), which was built in the 1890s, still remains. An addition to the farmhouse was completed in 2003. The only original farm structure on the property is the old barn, which dates back to the 1880s.
14. Moeggenborg Farm - Alma
The Beautiful Ohio Star, in honor of the family's Ohio history.
15. Fenton - St. Louis
The eight point star was selected to honor the military veterans who served our country. John always flew the American flag proudly which sits in front of the home at 10340 E. Remick Road. The quilt square was purchased in memory of John at the "still auction" at the Gratiot County Fair for Youth. A 4-H'er made it as a project and was red/white/blue which would have been what he would selected.
In 1960, Sharon's parents, Ward and Lillian O'Boyle, purchased the farm from Joy Fisher. This was the first farm Ward owned after being a share crop farmer in Pleasant Valley. The farm came to be known as O'Boyle's Feed Lot, one of the largest cattle operations in the area, feeding several thousand western grown colored cattle. He expanded from here to 1,000 acres. His family was always involved. In 2000, Ward purchased 40 acres adjoining the original farm which was the family farm of Lillian. The Ray and Blanche Leonard farm was the home of her parents and their 16 children. After ward's passing in 2015, the farms became the property of John and Sharon. Remick Road welcomed many visitors to see the pens of cattle roaming the fields and the "Belgian Draft Horses" over the years.
May Ward, Lillian and John rest in peace as they smile at the eight-point star located on the garage Ward built and moved from their home on LaPorte Road in Pleasant Valley to the current location.