37. McKenzie - Breckenridge
The McKenzie Scottish Coat of Arms was chosen for the McKenzie farm as it represents five generations of the family. Duncan McKenzie was born in Ross-shire, Scotland on Jan. 1, 1851. At the age of twenty-one years, he left Scotland and came to America to settle in Emerson Township, Gratiot County. On February 5, 1874, Duncan purchased the 40 acres where the current homestead is still located. On February 28, 1879, he married Mary Edgar, the daughter of Stewart and Margaret (Dunn) Edgar, natives of Scotland. On October 28, 1908, Duncan and Mary purchased the adjacent 80 acres. The original homestead was built in 1892 with lumber taken off of the land. Duncan and Mary had five children: John, William, Margaret V., Elsie R. and Ernest E. The farm is currently owned by Duncan's and Mary's great grandson Jeffrey and his wife, Barbara. Representing the fifth generation are Jeff and Barb's three sons, Aaron, Adam and Kyle. Gerreck and Griffin McKenzie, sons of Aaron and Gaynor McKenzie, currently make up the sixth generation of Duncan and Mary McKenzie.
38. Sulzmann Family - Ithaca
The Sunny Block has a bright "S" to represent the family name.
39. Tuggle - Ithaca
The Double Wedding Ring block has always been a favorite of Phil and Lisa Tuggle. This pattern replicates a quilt that was given to Lisa's grandmother, who later passed it down to Lisa. Although they have no documentation, it was said to be a state fair winner.
The Tuggle quilt square is installed on an original 40-acre plot that was purchased from Oscar Studer in 1988. Since then, an additional 100 acres has been added on to the property. The farm is a Registered Angus farm--approximately 100 calves are born there annually between January and March. Cows are relocated to pastures from May to October and an annual Bull Sale occurs the 3rd Saturday in March. Females are sold the 3rd Saturday in August. The Tuggle Farm produces all feed and is MAEAP certified.
40. Quality Equipment - Ithaca
The name of this quilt block is "Swing in the Center." Quality Equipment is owned by Ed Whitaker (Trucker Ed) and was started in 1991 for the purpose of hauling farm equipment.
41. Wineland - Ithaca
The four sides and eight points of this Friendship quilt block represent the four generations who lived on and loved this farm. The farm was purchased by Orrin and Anna Eckelbarger in 1921. In 1936 it was taken over by their son and his wife, Roy and Mabel Eckelbarger. Roy died in 1946, and in 1947 Mable moved to Ithaca. Her son and his wife, Keil and Vera Echelbarger moved to the farm and raised their family. The farm is now owned by their daughter and her husband, Duane and Colleen Eckelbarger Wineland.
The original quilt block had a heart in the center, and the Christian cross was added to represent the four generations of Christians to which the farm has belonged. The patriotic colors were chosen to represent the involvement of several family members who were (and still are) in the military.
42. Marble - North Star
The Cross Block represents the center of this family's faith. The couple has lived in the home since 1972. The block represents North Star and the cross represents the family's belief of God's power in all aspects of their lives. It is hoped that visitors will see the cross and pray for the community of North Star.
43. Lamey - Ithaca
The first square denotes Miss Heritage coming to North Star to marry Roy Lamey in 1973 (Represented by the Star). The evergreen tree in the second square represents the trees planted by the Lameys and their four sons. The third square depicts a log cabin quilt square with a heart at the center to represent the log cabin that is now their home. The sun is depicted in the fourth block to show that the sun rises and sets on each new day.
44. North Star Township Hall - Ithaca
The North Star Americana block was chosen not only because it was named after North Star Township, but also in the hopes that a bright and colorful pattern will catch the attention of those entering the township from the west.
North Star began in 1857 in what was then known as Douglas, a station on the Ann Arbor Railroad that was renamed North Star in 1884. North Star is an unincorporated community in North Star Township on the Bad River, founded in 1948. The Township encompasses 34.6 square miles, 12% of which is water, and has a population of 1,000 residents.
47. Miller - Perrinton
The Eternal Star block was chosen for this farm because it means "The Fellowship of Friends and Family." The Millers like to think of their home as a gathering place for friends and family who so often congregate around the campfire or their inviting wicker chairs on the front porch. The colors of the block were chosen to closely match the color scheme of the house and other buildings to create a warm, cozy, and welcoming atmosphere.
48. Fitzpatrick Farm - Perrinton
Fitzpatrick Farm was purchased in August of 1965 by William (Bill) and Muriel Fitzpatrick. Bill and Muriel were excited to start a farm and family of their own since they were both raised on a farm. Bill's family moved to Gratiot County in 1950 to start a small farm and milk a few cows just down the road from today's farm. Muriel (Becker) was also raised on her family's farm in Clinton County.
Bill and Muriel married in November of 1965 and moved on to the farm. They had their first son, Dennis, in September of 1966. Bill worked at GM in Lansing and Muriel at Klien's Fertilizer in Perrinton as well as both working together on their farm. Over the years Bill and Muriel grew their family, another son and a daughter, and the family farm in acres.
In 1992 Bill, Muriel, and Dennis incorporated the farm and today Dennis is the sole owner of Fitzpatrick Farms, Inc. where he lives with his family.
Dennis's Grandmother Lucile and his Mother Muriel both had a passion for quilting. They would have loved being a part of the Gratiot County Quilt Trail and displaying a block on the farm.
The Quilt block chosen for the farm is the Lone Star pattern. The colors in the block were chosen to match the barns and home on the farm.